It is so important for you or a loved one to find the right therapist.
The decision can make or break whether your treatment is going to be successful.
Here are a few signs to watch out for to make sure that you have chosen the right person;
- They have qualifications in the field that they are treating people in.
- They are positive and have a good energy or feel about them to you.
- They are non-judgmental and show empathy and care for your situation.
- They have experience with working with clients who have reached positive outcomes (don't be afraid of asking for results and testimonials).
- They have some experience with what you are actually going through, which may make you feel more comfortable to open up and seek advice.
- They let you choose who you work with (male or female) to ensure that you feel comfortable.
- As it is an investment of time and money, ensure that you are getting results in each session.
- You should have tangible results at the start and at the end of the session which includes your emotions and thoughts becoming more positive.
- The therapist should be giving you the tools and working with methods that empower you.
It is a big decision when it comes to choosing to work with someone over a period of time as the more transparent and open you are, the better results that you will get from the process itself.
If you have any further questions about choosing the right program or therapist for you please don't hesitate to contact our centre who specialise in Addiction Recovery and Mental Health in Melbourne.
Written by: Melissa Hiemann, Therapist and Co-Founder of The Melbourne Centre of Healing. Treating Mental Health and Addictions in Melbourne.